What is microdermabrasion and how does it work? A very potent physical exfoliation technique. Exfoliation should be considered one of the most basics of all skin care and microdermabrasion is probably the most effective technique at achieving this. It also invigorates the skin to accumulate a little fluid so helping to plump it up, just a little. Used alone its effects are temporary but good. In my clinic it is seldom used alone but usually in combination with other treatments to enhance their effectiveness, particularly to help the deep penetration of other skin products or peels by removing the dead surface cells and allowing access to the living skin surface.
What is the procedure for microdermabrasion? Microdermabrasion is carried out by a vacuum assisted device. The hand piece of which can either have a diamond textured surface that is massaged and rubbed against the skin or may emit rough crystals onto the surface of the skin, resulting in a gentle abrasion or "polishing" process. Each treatment takes from 15 to 30 minutes. The number of treatments recommended for maximal results can range from between 5 and 10, spaced from 2 to 3 weeks apart. Maintenance of results requires periodic repeat treatments after the initial regimen is completed.
Benefits of microdermabrasion:
- Gives the skin an overall fresh, healthy-looking glow.
- Nonsurgical, safe, effective "lunch hour" procedure.
- Effective and safe on all skin colours and types
- No anaesthetic required.
- Excellent for skin sensitive to chemical procedures.
- Normal activities can be resumed immediately.
Other Considerations for microdermabrasion:
- Requires multiple sessions and maintenance treatments.
- Patients with good skin tone will show best results.
- An individualised skin care program may be recommended to maximize results.
For more information on microdermabrasion treatment, fact sheets and healing times, please either contact Simon Lee directly, or register for Simon Lee's free email newsletter and we will keep you updated with articles and information on a variety of surgical or non-surgical procedures, as well as news and special offers.